The Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) and The World Academy of Science (TWAS) have launched two programmes to support researchers from IsDB Member Countries (MCs) in academic fields that focus on science and sustainability. Through the joint programmes, IsDB aims to build the capacity of talented young researchers and support the use of SDGs in tackling development issues in MCs.
As a part of the implementation of the joint programme for 2020, the call for applications for the Joint Research & Technology Transfer Grant and Post-doctoral fellowships are being launched as follows:
1) 2020 Joint Research and Technology Transfer Grant: Quick Response Research on COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic is a global crisis, affecting human health as well as economies of societies worldwide. One consequence will be the slowdown of work towards sustainable development, the pandemic will hinder efforts of many nations to achieve some of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
In this context, IsDB and TWAS would like to focus their 2020 Joint Research & Technology Transfer Grant on areas related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Technologists and researchers from IsDB Member Countries are invited to submit high-quality research and innovation proposals that can help address challenges directly and indirectly related to COVID-19. This includes the broader context of viral infections and zoonotic diseases.
We invite applicants to put forward collaborative proposals between two parties, a PI in an IsDB developing country working alongside another PI based in an IsDB Least Developed Member Country that fall under the umbrella specified above. Examples of specific themes include, but are not limited to:
- Epidemiology of COVID-19
- Dealing with consequences of COVID-19
Regional studies of COVID-19 infection
- Identification of possible sources of viruses: prevention of new zoonotic diseases
- HIV, SARS, MERS, COVID-19: lessons to learn on infections arising through species jump
- Evolution of viral disease: from animal to human and mutations of human strains
- Developing an emergency R&D response to any emerging infectious disease
- Discovery and development of diagnostics and therapeutics in viral outbreaks
- Dealing with viral infections: real-time data collection of the spread and preparation for future outbreaks
- Remote diagnosis and treatment
Call for applications will be launched on April 15th, 2020. Deadline for Proposal Submission is June 4th, 2020.
2) 2020 Post-Doctoral Fellowship Programme for Skills Building in Sustainability Science for IsDB LDMCs
The Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme is focused on Sustainability Science and based on the 17 global Goals for Sustainable Development (SDGs).
The programme targets promising young researchers from 21 of IsDB Least Developed Member Countries (LDMCs) to provide them with research training in key areas relevant to Sustainability Science. Applications must be submitted through: http://onlineforms.twas.org/apply/126.
The call for applications for the programme has already been launched. Deadline for receipt of applications is June 8th, 2020.
(*) Focus areas: Sustainable Agriculture, Education, Education for Sustainable Development, Climate Change, Energy, Sustainable Cities, Responsible Growth, Waste Management, Population Growth, Green Chemistry, Biodiversity, Plastic pollution and Micro- plastics, and Water and Hygiene.