Republic of Albania
Since Albania’s membership in 1993, IsDB’s approvals for the country have been mostly in the transportation sector followed by agriculture and water, sanitation, and urban services. Through completed infrastructure projects and microfinance interventions, IsDB has created thousands of jobs in Albania. More specifically, the Bank’s financing assisted the country to reach the following socio-economic results:
- In the Transport sector, 31 kilometers of expressways and national or regional highways and 344 kilometers of rural roads were constructed/rehabilitated.
- In the Energy sector, 18 sub-stations were installed or upgraded.
- In Urban Development, IsDB interventions have also supported the provision of access to potable water supply systems for 21,000 households through an increase in potable water treatment capacity by 25,000 m3/day and the installation of 264 kilometers of the water supply network. In addition, 632 houses/shelters have been built or upgraded.
- In the Health sector, 7 healthcare facilities were constructed or upgraded.
- In the Education sector, 26 new schools have been constructed or upgraded.
- In Agriculture and Rural Development sector, the irrigation network for more than 5,900 hectares of arable agricultural land was rehabilitated.
- In the Finance sector, more than 4,000 beneficiaries (mainly in rural communities) received access to microfinance.
IsDB also cooperates with development partners active in Albania to explore potential partnership opportunities in priority areas. For instance, to support Albania further in strengthening seismic resilience, following a major earthquake in November 2019, IsDB expressed readiness to provide financing during the International Donors Conference “Together 4 Albania" hosted by the European Commission in Brussels.