Republic of Maldives
% Total Capital
Since membership in 1980, IsDB has created 1,179 jobs in Maldives. In addition, the Bank’s financing assisted the country to reach the following socio – economic results:
- In the Education sector, about 31,000 students were benefited.
- In the Health Sector, about 129,324 patients received treatment each year, in addition, 15 Health facilities were constructed or upgraded.
- In the Transport Sector, annual passenger capacity at airports was increased by 1.7 million people/cargo, while maritime capacity was increased by 4.4 million people and vehicles.
- Water and Sanitation related support has benefited about 688 households with access to potable water. Furthermore, potable water treatment capacity was increased by 21,486 m3 per day. The ‘’Sanitation In 5 Islands’’ project is currently active and addressing sewage treatment while another project under processing currently i.e. ‘’Greater Male Waste Management Project’’ is expected to significantly address the historic waste management issue faced by Maldives.
- As part of IsDB support to GOM’s COVID-19 response, five out of six regional critical health facilities were equipped across the country with 42 medical-grade ventilators, 60 cardiac monitors, 4 dialysis machines and providing 150,000 COVID-19 personal protective kits to frontline medical workers. The support also included infection surveillance and tracking for remote towns/villages using innovative STI digital platform. The overall IsDB’s intervention rendered the provision of improved COVID-19 related healthcare access to an aggregate population of 245,616 or about 47% of the total 516,000 population of the country.
H.E. Ibrahim Ameer
Minister of Finance
H.E Fayyaz Ismail
Minister of Economic Development